Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oops!

Oops! Magazine. Is Singapore Polytechnic's very own magazine. From my point of view, it is absolutely rubbish. Please, let me elaborate.

There is that fine difference between a magazine and a tabloid. I'm very sure the Oops! recognizes itself as a magazine - ' a publication that is issued periodically, usually bound in a paper cover, and typically contains essays, stories, poems, etc., by many writers, and often photographs and drawings, frequently specializing in a particular subject or area, as hobbies, news, or sports.'

Essays. I am very sure we were all taught on the proper style, or techniques, or formats on how to write an essay. Writing in a formal language does not make it an essay. It just makes it a formal writing. The writers stereotype way too much for my liking. No references were made and they just assumed their facts, I can tell, because I'm the one who actually reads these articles instead of looking at pictures of cute girls. And yes, I'm one of those that has to have a first hand experience with people and their lifestyles before giving a bold and bias statement. Oops does not seem to practice that, the editors are free to write what they feel irrelevant of the facts on hand.

That was just one of their mistakes. Next, the bias opinion. You're a magazine, give me two sides of the story. It's not about your thoughts alone, yes you can have your own point of view, you should, but as a reader, I want to read and I want to decide. I'm reading your article and it feels like you're forcing me to agree with you, and I just don't. You're not presenting me with facts, you're just presenting me with your stereotyped views and frankly speaking, my views are stronger. I'm just not going to listen.

What I feel, is that the editors just want their names published and enjoy the free passes to parties and such. Yes, I am saying they are slacking on the job. Nothing in the magazine is worth the time reading. For goodness sake, you guys are the schools press, I would give up almost anything to write an article and have it published for the masses to see. The editors here seemed like they cannot care any less about the quality of the articles. No soul, no passion.

Alright, I'm damn proud of Smug. He managed to organize quite a successful show. Went to have dinner where we rubbed in on how his NP friends failed to show up. Tasted Mee Rebus, which made me miss my old life. I use to eat Mee Rebus every sunday, without fail. One day Halim, I'll go down and join you once again, just like old times.

Yea, basically that was it luhh. OUH! Meeting Dennis this saturday. Fish & Co. man, no changes to dinner plans. If ANYONE, ANYONE tries to interfere, they'll have to go through me.

"... join you once again, just like old times"
~Callum

No comments:

Post a Comment