Saturday, July 11, 2009

The ride

Today, I grew up.
It is the ride that would separate the boys from the men.
It is the ride that lasted 160km.
It is the ride that rolled you in and out of weather conditions.
It is the ride that took you to places that you did not know existed.
It is the ride that kept you one the edge of your seat.
It is the ride where you rolled along with the cars.
It is the ride that would tire you out.
It is the ride I rode today.

Yea, you can argue what defines a man. No, I'm not very good at shooting balls using a stick. No, I'm not very good at controlling computerized heroes or leading an army with a touch of my keyboard. But that's not what I believe in.

I believe in long rides.
And the stories they bring.
I believe in simplicity.
And the idea that complex problems can be solved in simple ways.
I believe in firsts.
And then lifestyles that last.
I believe in the power of giving back.
And never giving up.
I believe.

An update on how things went.

Started out at 2pm, I had to wait out the rain, it was way too heavy and way too unpredictable. When it finally cooled and settled, I rushed out of my house and the roll began.

Sweet and smooth all the way to Changi Coast Road. I was on the verge of boredom and that's where things went downhill. That 3km stretch of road was where I decided to put the hammer down, what a mistake. The road after that was uphill, and my god was it torturing. It was at Pasir Ris Drive 12 where I thought I would not make the whole journey. I was on right there, on my saddle planning to drop out at the next fall out point.

It was on that very critical moment, that moment where my mind could still change its decision, it was on that critical moment when I heard my bike. It was there, talking, right there, gently whispering and urging my legs to keep on paddling. The sound of the tyres on the beautiful black tarmac and the beautiful sound of the freewheel just kept me going.

After I overcamed the mental barrier, the physical barrier was next. It hit me twice, first was in Lim Chu Kang and the second one was at West Coast Highway. By the time I was in Sengkang, my water supply, all 1.5 l of it was dry. And thanks to the very clever ulu route, there was no convience store. The heat was hardly noticable, but the humidity, omg, never go out just after it rained. But there was haze and dump trucks, which made breathing very difficult. During most of the journey I had dirt in one eye and that was irritating, when going at that speed, you really want both eyes open so that you can gauge distance and depth. So anyway, by the time I reached Lim Chu Kang, I was straving, you could actually hear my stomach growling. My legs were tiring, my eyes were shutting and to make matters worse, it started to rain. I had water splashed up on my back and on my pants. A few minutes later however, I was in Boon Lay and thank god! CIVILISATION! Pulled in into a gas station, bought drinks and a cury puff. About to pay at the counter when the staff asked me, did you pump any petrol? Well, if you see a guy with a bicycle helmet and is covered in mud, do you honestly think he needs petrol? Yes, I was covered in mud, soil had slipped onto the road thanks to rain and I ran over quite a few puddles. So yea, drank the whole bottle in one gulp and then in one bite i downed the whole curry puff.

After that 're-fuel'-ing, I pulled out and oh my, had a sudden burst of energy, so the Tuas Loop was easily dealt with, until I got onto Pioneer Road. That was went every single part of me start to fail. My right ankle was sprained, so it could no longer push down on the pedals. My right knee was busted, so again, I could not apply pressure to the whole of my right leg. My left leg wasn't doing so well either, it was starting to cramp. My shoulders were sore, my left hand was numb and my back was just killing me. That was my limit, I only had a few more kilometers to cover, only a few more, but I had it. I had to find somewhere to stop and call for pick up.

So I cycled on looking for my extraction point, and soon I found a petrol station, OUH! but guess what, I was already verging into the West Coast Highway. So I thought what the heck, I just have to inch my way to West Coast Park and complete the route. And so I did. But I was so out of steam that I could not sprint to the finish like I imagined, instead it was just my mind moving the bike. The rest of me died the moment I turned into West Coast Highway.

And, ahh yes. I'm finally off the saddle of good! The whole ride was time consuming, took me more than 5 hours to complete it. Dissapointing but could not be helped with the humongous amount of traffic lights.

Alot of talking points in this ride. Saw alot of roadies, expected huh? Since I took a pre-planned route. Had ALOT of stunning views. Seletar was an eye opener. So was Kranji. So was Tampines. So was Lim Chu Kang. Honestly, I really felt as though I missed out, all this places were right there in my backyard, it's just that I'm so surrounded in the comfort in my own home that I never actually bothered to open the window. (Get the methodology?)

The route I taken was mostly ulu, so not much supercars and not much superbabes either. But yea, I did not really have much fun on this trip. No photographs even. Ouh, but the good news is for the whole trip, not a single honk by any vehicles! I came back with all my limbs and came back with experience. Yea, too tired now to actually do a proper post, why don't we just meet up for dinner or something and I can fill you in on how everything went?

"I believe in long rides"
~Callum

No comments:

Post a Comment