Sunday, June 14, 2009

Restoration

We have to go back to move forward. That was a quote that has long been imprinted and engraved into my gray matter.

The day started out with me waking up at 11am thanks to my whole family, being in my bedroom at the exact same time. Now what was that all about?! Urgh, frustrated however, I pulled my blanket over my head and continued sleeping. Three hours later however, Mr Smug called and I arose from my heavenly place to pick up his phone call. He was coming over to do some restoration work on his old bike. Shortly afterward, I found myself flat on my bed again. After all my body parts have had blood pump through it after a night of hibernation, I could finally get up, fold my blanket and begin to strip out anything mechanical on the bike.

Mr Smug's AMBITIOUS idea was to re-paint his black bike white. There I was removing the wheels, the brakes, the derailleurs, the crank arms and the CHAIN! I was quite happy doing it actually, long time since I've touched things like that, nowadays my hands are on the keyboard, doing AutoCAD.

By the time he arrived, I had most of the mechanical bits off and then he began peeling away the stickers. He took a step back and said, 'It actually looks good in black, I think keep it that way'. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOK ON MY FACE when he said that, slowly breaking the chain, slowly turning those bolts and all he wanted to do was peel the stickers!!! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!
AHHHHHRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

And there I was putting everything back together. Slowly, quietly and patiently. Of course all the components were polished and shine to restore them back to their Glory Years. I was quite proud. Next of course we tuned the derailleurs and everything seemed to function. PERFECT. Handlebars was next and we realized we were missing a screw. Not to fret, we'll just go out and get one. So we packed away the things NICELY in my room, washed our hands and headed to KFC, with Mr Smug faking he wanted Fried Chicken.

NOOOO He did not, he was lying. THIS, was what he wanted to do.
YES. If you notice, he took out the meat of the Zinger, placed it aside, and stuffed Cheese Fries in between those buns. I won't even use the word 'ambitious', it was down right s**p*d. But yea, he bit into those lovely buns and YES! It tasted disgusting. Ahhh, the joys of watching your friend down something horrible in taste. Priceless.

Few minutes later we found ourselves at IMM looking for a screw, and nope, no screw there so we went to a local bike shop, and yup, WE GOT SCREWED. It was closed. So we went home and i told Mr Smug to think about something, so Mr Smug, if you're reading this, THINK ABOUT IT.

So yea, we went home and the bike is still missing the screw but the drivetrains are working flawlessly, and to be honest, I am quite proud of it. The next time I see the bike being ridden some part(the heart) will feel that soft mushy feeling, part of my soul is in that bike. But now it is still resting on my bedroom floor.

To conclude, after all the distractions, it feels good to bring something back, something that was forgotten, something which was left there to fend on it's own. It's just good to bring it back and once again let it be what it was always suppose to be.

We have to go back to move forward
~Callum

No comments:

Post a Comment