Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Spider

Never again, NEVER again will I ever ride in Bukit Batok!

The day started out great, got my hair cut and was quite pleased with it, confirmed lunch timings for tomorrow and wrapped up my business report. I thought of rewarding myself, with a long and slow ride along the Park Connectors.

So I cycled up to Clementi Ave 2 and headed for the part connector. Had no MP3 with me, which was great, enjoying the sounds of nature. Everything went smoothly, very smooth as a matter of fact. Maybe because the government actually cares, or maybe it's because nobody rides the Park Connector from Jurong East to Bukit Batok. Whatever the reason is, I liked it. Not once was there a need to stop, it was straight and direct, you just kept rolling and rolling and rolling.

Sadly however, there was a dramatic turn of event. I've reached Bukit Batok, had to cut through the housing estates as well, the Park Connectors aren't really connected.. yet. This is where everything went wrong for me. I decided to turn off the pavement, judging by how tight it was coupled with the amount of people walking. There was this paved path which I could take, so I took it. I smacked some leaves (i dun really know what they were, like palm tree like that, around Bukit Batok) on some tree. Closed my eyes as I was doing that, opened my eyes, saw the path, looked down on my speedometer, and OMFG! There was a spider on it!

YES! A spider, the ones with 8 legs, and errrr, you know, spider. To be honest, it was very small, ok, imagine, errrr, something very small. AHHH! Like 2 grains of rice. Yes, that was how small it was. But I am freaked by spiders. Why does anything need so many legs?!

Naturally of course I panic-ed as I saw the spider clinging on to my speedo.(for dear life i assume). Awww man, imagine, you were riding along smoothly, and suddenly everything change. My heart rate was definitely up, honestly, I didn't know what to do. There was a spider clinged on, that's all I could think. And no, i wasnt going to touch it, I don't know if it will happen, but imagine if that spider was stuck on my finger as i tried to flick it... EEEE.

What happens next was never planned. I jumped off the bike. YES, i seriously did. That was how freaked I was, and still am! Obviously I lost a considerable amount of speed while thinking what to do next so there's none of that dramatic somersault on the ground and the bike flipping 20 feet up in the air. Instead, I was still standing and the bike merely skidded along, and of course, Singaporeans walking along didn't bother to help.

THE SPIDER CLINGED ON! OMG! It was still on the bike! As i helped the bike up, I nearly lost grip as I saw the spider slowly moving all 8 of its legs across the brake cables. CAN IT JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?! "Yes maybe I smacked your tree, but let it go can't you?!" (talking to the spider). So yes, the spider was still crawling and I was still freaked, so I backed a few feet and observed from a safe distance.

Of course, I called my salvation, rang up my girlfriend and asked her what to do. Yes, it was quite un-manly, but seriously, everyone has their fears. Just that mine was very small and clinged on to my bike. Turns out she wasn't very helpful, so I waited, patiently, and that's when something amazing happened.

I moved in with my phone to try and snap a picture of the spider so that I could post it later on. And it jumped!!! And then it hanged from it's web. Yes, at this point of time i squealed like a little girl. But again, that was DISGUSTING. The spider was now DANGLING there with it's 8 legs just moving freely in the air. The picture was never taken, but something good came out of that.

Now the spider was hopelessly dangling in the air, and I had the upper hand now.. Muahahahahahaha. (-.-) Anyway, I blew it, and how smart of that spider, it jumped onto the tree which my bike was leaned against. (^^)V

With great haste, I pulled my bike out of the tree and cycled hard. Out of the path and onto the main road, phew.

And so that was it, moments while riding. I don't forsee any other places or any other time where I will get stuck in this situation. Another plus point for cycling I guess. Yea, so if you're looking for a great time, don't leave home without a bicycle. Whatever bicycle it is man, track,road, mountain, freeride, downhill, X-country, Coasters, BMX, utility(market). Whatever it is man, you can have a good time with it. It's how you ride, not what you ride.

Let it go.... Can't you?
~Callum

No comments:

Post a Comment